Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Seeing the Children and leaving Africa

Our day began at sunrise and it such a great treat to end our time in Africa.  Mom and I climbed to the top of hut and watched the sun rise…so pretty! 

It was about a 4 hour drive to Nairobi.  I can hardly wait to see the children.  As we entered Mathare Valley, one of the oldest and biggest slums in Kenya, I was amazed at what I was seeing.
No words can explain what I saw. Some of the poorest people live in Mathare Valley.  We drove for several minutes and made a turn down this side road, and the most wonderful site and sound was there.  The children of the New Mercy care Academy were lining the streets and signing to welcome us.  All I could do was smile…mom and gram got teary eyed and where overcome with joy!

We went into the school and were shown around to the classrooms. The classrooms were so small, broken down and dirty.  I am not sure how they are able to learn in such classrooms.  Despite the appearance of the classrooms the children were happy and felt loved.  We visited each classroom. When we entered their classroom, they asked if they could sing us a song.  They were so proud of their class and having us visit them.  Each class performed a song for us and the older students did a play.  It was very impressive and I enjoyed it so much.  They served lunch to all of us. Mom had gone to take pictures and shortly after she called me into a classroom.  It was a classroom of 9 & 10 year old boys and girls.  They were so interested in talking with me. I spent the next hour or so in this room with these children.  I taught them to dance and we talked about all the things we do in the USA. 


We ended our time at the school with them giving us Gifts and us saying good-bye.  Our time was short at the school but I so loved the children. It was sad to see the conditions they live in, but the children were so happy!


We went to the guesthouse and rested until we go to the airport later tonight.  Our flight leaves at 3:30am.  It is going to be a long trip home, but we are heading home!

No comments:

Post a Comment